PharmD Student Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Step Away From The Counter

Ok, I really thought I'd write more about school when I started this blog, but it turns out that school doesn't piss me off as much as working in retail. Something tells me I'm getting into the wrong profession.

I knew it was going to be a bad day when "Steve" asked me to get as much stuff done before 4 o'clock because our cashier had an appointment. I asked him if he knew the majority of my work occurred after 4, considering that's when the order comes in and the mail-outs have to go out. Oh, not to mention all the other things we students have to do. He replied yes, but there wasn't anything he could do about it. Not a huge deal, a tech took care of the order, but this means I have a good 2 hours to deal with the customers. Yay.

Things were going along fine until Mr. Dad came in. His son was in the clinic getting his pinkie re-broken and set correctly. He usually went to a pharmacy downtown, but he needed his son's inhaler now, and couldn't leave the building. Ok, we'll call your pharmacy and get a copy for you. Not a problem.

Now Mrs. Mom comes in. Different family. She's here to pick up her daughter's birth control. I can't find it in the bins, so I check the computer. On my way to the computer she informs me that she called yesterday and that she talked to a lady and the lady said if there was a problem we would call her. I type in the daughter's name and see we had to fax on the prescription, and haven't heard back from the doctor. I tell her this, and she gets angry because we were supposed to call her if there was a problem. This is where Steve comes in. I'm already annoyed with this lady, so I let him handle it. He tells her he'll call the doctor, but she'll have to wait because he has to make a few phone calls for other patients. Instead of calling the doctor herself, she waits at my counter, and waits, and waits. She waits right next to the cash register, causing confusion among the customers who come in. They think I'm waiting on her. No matter how many times I tell her it'll take awhile, she still doesn't budge from the register. I have to lean around her to wave people up to my counter. I didn't know what to tell her to make her sit down without being a huge prick, so I ignored her.

Dad gets his copy, about 20 other patients get their medications, with Mrs. Mom standing there the whole time. Finally, Steve gets hold of the doctor. Turns out, the daughter needs to see the doc before she can get a refill, and Mrs. Mom knew that. She's been told this. She starts in on Steve, trying to get him to convince the doc to give her the prescription for at least another month. It takes 20 minutes for me to get home now is her best argument, because of construction. Never mind the 30 minutes she stood there waiting. Steve caves, the doctor caves. She gets her month. That's why Steve is That One Pharmacist. He's a nice guy, people get what they want when they talk to him. Some would call him a pushover. Mrs. Mom is still a bitch.

If this is what I'll have to deal with the rest of my life, just shoot me now. Where's the vodka?

1 comment: