PharmD Student Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

New Intern

Today I met our new intern. She's in college to get her tech degree, and just needs one two-week rotation in retail and one in hospital to get that degree. Compare that to the eight (I think it's eight, at least) 5-week different rotations I'm going to have to do. I don't have a problem with this; I'm going to make a hell of a lot more than her and have more responsibilities. What I do have a problem with is this:

She didn't even know what an NDC was. I'll admit, I didn't know about NDCs until I worked in a pharmacy, however, I hadn't taken a single college class at that time either. For those of you who don't know, an NDC is an 11 digit code that is specific to a certain drug, and every drug has one, even OTCs. I don't remember what drug it was, but it was one we had a couple different manufacturers for, because we usually choose to buy the cheaper generic. Anywho, the script came back and she went to go find the drug, looked at them, then turned to Steve and asked, "How do I know which one to choose?"

Steve replied, "Just check the NDC."

"What's an NDC?"

You have got to be kidding me. She went to college for two years to specifically become a pharmacy tech, and they didn't teach her what an NDC is? She's not stupid by any means, so I don't believe that she was taught it and forgot, I believe that she wasn't taught it at all. What the fuck? I guess this is why you have to do rotations before going out into the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment